Saturday, April 29, 2017

BEGINNERS GUIDE TO HIGHLIGHTING AND CONTOURING


What is your favorite part to your makeup routine? Is it doing your brows? Putting on eyeshadow? Doing your winged liner? Adding falsies? Don't make me look weird here but I bet all of you get giddy when you do your favorite step in your routine. My favorite part would definitely be highlighting and contouring. 

When I first started, this step really baffles me. I really find it hard and time-consuming.  But, when I started doing it, it really amazes me how it transforms your face immensely and how it plays a huge factor both in reality and photography. But why is there a need to highlight and contour, anyway? The whole point of contouring is to carve out your features and to create an illusion of a slimmer face. To create a shadow on areas you want to fade and bring forward the features that are prominent. No algorithm needed guys. Do you find that enticing? Yah, count me in. I bet you guys are also curious on how to perfect this step. Fret no more, I'm going to show you how to do it step-by-step and how to perfect it the newb way. Let's do it.

*Warning!! My brows are not in the best condition on this post. I used a brow tint and it looked so bad. Please ignore it.*
Nichido Final Powder
1.  First, you have to make sure that you already have laid down your base. Meaning, you already have your foundation/BB cream on and make sure to set it with powder. Your contour will apply smoothly once you have set it with powder.
Left: Nichido Contour and Highlight Duo Stick; Right: Benefit Hoola Powder
2. As for products, you may use a cream contouring stick or a bronzing powder. Since I already used a powder to set my face,  I will be using a bronzing powder for this demo. If you are a beginner, I strongly suggest that you go with a bronzing powder(pictured right) since its very easy to apply.
 3. Dab a small amount of product onto your brush and start from your ear down to the halfway of your cheek(or onto the hollows of your cheek) to create a line similar to a shadow. Do this back and forth until you have created the "perfect shadow". Don't go to heavy as this might look muddy.
4. After the cheeks, bring the brush up to your forehead, back to your cheeks and then down to your jawline. You may apply more product as needed but again be gentle because this can make your contour very muddy easily. Don't add too much product, just a small dab on the brush will do. 
Left: With Contouring // Right: Without Contouring
After contouring, it should create a shadow to mimic an illusion of a higher or slimmer cheekbone
Wet n Wild Blush in Mellow Wine
5.  After contouring, apply blush to add a pop of color to your cheeks. This process makes you look younger and healthier and give an illusion of plump cheeks. Start by applying blush to your cheekbones and blend outwards and upwards towards your temple. It may also help to suck your cheeks in like a fishface for easy application. Make sure to use only a small amount of product and increase intensity depending on your preference because we don't want to look like a clown.
Essence Pure Nude Highlighter
6. After blush, take a fluffy brush and apply a small dab of highlighter onto the top of your cheekbones, just slightly above where you applied blush. Highlighter is best applied on the top part of your cheekbones because this is where the light bounces to your skin giving you a radiant and more glowing look. You may use cream, liquid or powder but as a newb, powder would be much easier because blending will be so much easier. You may also put highlighter on the bridge of your nose, chin, forehead and inner corner of your eye. Just be very gentle with the application because we don't want to look like a disco ball.
Left: With Contour, Blush and Highlight; Right: Without Contouring, Blush and Highlight


Aaandd after the grueling process of highlighting and contouring... here's the finish product!


Lips: NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Cannes

Highlighting and contouring maybe quite a piece of work and it takes practice to really perfect it. I don't even think mine is perfect. It's patchy, here and there. It can be muddy. It might look cakey or a bit too much. My only advice is to go easy on the product. Be very gentle with your strokes and apply a small amount and build it slowly and seemingly. But, just how good does it look with photography? Amazing, right? Highlighting really sealed the deal for me. It's my favorite part.

I hope you loved my step-by-step guide in highlighting and contouring. How do you do yours? What are your tips and techniques? Let me know.


XOXO,
Angeli G.

No comments :