Tuesday, December 22, 2015

DRUGSTORE MAKEUP 101


Keeping up with the whole "starting out" theme, let's talk about make-up. I have been liking this starter kit series that I wanted to blog about another post on drugstore make-up. But this time, let's take the more economical route. If you are living in the Philippines, particularly Cebu, you know that it's such a bum that we don't have that much access to other drugstore foreign brands. But, there are several good stuff in our local drugstore that are within reach which I highly recommend. These are all affordable products that perform way even better than the high-end ones.


 FOUNDATION
First things first, your make-up base. If there is one thing you need to splurge on, it should be a good and well-trusted foundation. If you are oily, go for a matte full coverage one but if you are normal to dry skin, go for a semi-matte finish. The best up there are the Loreal True Match Liquid Foundation(semi -matte) and Revlon Colorstay Liquid Foundation in Combination/Oily(oily). I personally use the Revlon one because I am very oily and this holds up for a good 8 hour wear. Also, I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to always pick the right shade and make sure to test it in store so you get to have a feel of the product in actual.


CONCEALER AND POWDER
I cannot count how many times I have bought a bad concealer. There are a lot of concealers in the drugstore that are just not worth your money but when I found out about LA Girl Pro HD Concealer, I made a beeline to Watsons and I have never been so happy. This concealer blends like a dream. It is good for undereye and spot concealing and even on those days that you don't want to wear makeup, you can just dab this on your dark areas, and this will work wonders. After foundation and concealer, it is important to set eveything in place by a good matte powder. I really like the Maybelline powders but the one I like the most is, Maybelline Super White Fresh Powder because this can double up as a foundation and a powder.


 BROWS, EYES AND BLUSH
As you can see, these are my most loved and abused as I almost hit pan on these items. Brows was definitely a challenge for me as I have the ugliest brows in the entire planet. Finding the right product to get it done took me quite a long time but glad that I finally settled on Etude House Drawing Eye Brow and IN2IT Eyebrow Powder. The IN2IT one is a staple in every Filipina's kikay kit. I cannot remember any Filipina who doesn't have this. Am I right, girls? But really, the powder is best suited for Filipina skin tone which gives you the most natural-looking brows. It really depends which one you are comfortable with. I started out with a powder but it did not suit my thin bushy brows so I switched to a pencil and found out that it was much quicker. Brows takes a whole lot of practice. Be patient. Experiment with products and stick to it. Your brows are important. You life depends on it. ;)

Up until now, I don't wear eyeshadow on a daily basis because I suck at it. I have hooded eyelids so I don't really bother. Instead, I wear a truck load of mascara to keep my eyes awake. So as a newbie, I wouldn't recommend that you get an eyeshadow right away but go find a good mascara first. The one I recommend is Maybelline Magnum Express Volum Mascara. It does a good job in separating and volumizing my lashes. It doesn't hold up for a long time but it gets the job done. The Maybelline Falsies Mascara is also really good because it is best for lengthening. It really depends on what you need and how your lashes are structured. If you are in a hunt for a good mascara, go straight to Maybelline. I swear you guys, Maybelline ONLY makes the best drugstore mascara EVER. With a wide variety of specialization, from lengthening to volumizing, you will find something for you there.

You can find a lot of blushes in the drugstore and you can just pick up anything that suits your fancy. But, if you want value for your money, I suggest you go for the Elf Contouring Blush and Bronzing Powder. I mean, talk about a big bang for your buck. You get a blush and contour powder in just one kit. Be careful though in using the bronzer since it is hella pigmented and it has shimmers. For a beginner, just use a small amount and bronze up your face. The blush is also good and it is a good dupe to the iconic Nars Orgasm blush. There are a lot of blushes out there but if you want something on the go, the Elf ones are the best.


LIPS
Lips are quite easy. I could still remember hoarding lipsticks during my "I-hate-makeup-years". The quintessential MAC Ruby Woo got me hooked up then everything else followed. I do know that wearing lipstick can be intimidating to some but if you want to experiment first, I suggest you take a look on Essence Longlasting Lipstick and Maybelline Sensational Lipstick. Essence lipsticks are very moisturizing and they offer a lot of shades that is good for everyday wear. Maybelline also does not disappoint since it also has a lot of variety for every Filipina out there. I think that they have the best formula when it comes to a drugstore lipstick. I remember my first red lipstick from the drugstore and it was Maybelline Very Cherry and I was one happy camper. :)

Whew, that was one lengthy post! Let me know what got you hooked up in make-up? What was your first purchase from the drugstore and your very first item when starting out? Share your thoughts and I'd be more than glad to try them as well. Two more days before Christmas, aren't y'all excited? Merry Christmas everyone and please don't eat too much, leave some for the New Year! Haha!

XOXO,
Angeli G. 




No comments :