Saturday, March 11, 2017

STOP MAKEUP SHAMING!


"You have too much makeup on!"
"Why do you need that much makeup?"
"For whom are you wearing makeup today?"

My response?? "WHATEVER!!!!!" eyes rolling, flips hair and continues ruling the world.

Seriously, make-up shaming has skyrocketed over the past year. Due to the emerging of social media and the growth of beauty gurus, it is inevitable that makeup tutorials can be very enticing and you can't help but be curious. Despite the glam that comes with it, this gurus or anyone in particular, are the middle of ridicule. WHY?? Because cosmetics are for insecure human beings. Oh really? Well, EFF OFF! Let me tell  you about my make-up journey and why make-up shaming should be put to rest.


HELLO BARE FACE!


I am not a natural-born cosmetic lover. When I was in my teens, I hoard on Johnson's & Johnson's baby powder since it's my holy grail beauty item and THAT'S IT. I don't like wearing makeup back then because it makes me look like a tranny and to make things worse, I look like I was fresh from an 80's salon looking like a drag queen. Fast forward to 2012, the obsession kicked in. It all started with my fascination on red lipstick. I blame it on Anne Curtis who rocks a bare face and just red lipstick on. I read in an article that it was a MAC lipstick and back then, buying a 1000 lipstick is just absurd so I went and look for cheaper alternatives and almost hoard on any red lipstick that comes my way. 

Going into 2013, the eyebrow trend was all the rage and I can't help but be amazed. Who thought brow products existed(I don't)? Everybody is sporting the sculpted drawn-on brows and then again, I blame it on Anne Curtis since she really rocks the bushy brows and red lipstick trend SO DAMN WELL. Silly me, I just had to follow. From red lipstick to sculpted brows then foundation then bronzer and so on, well you know how this goes, I got hooked and then the rest is history.

You see, buying a red lipstick and sporting drawn brows doesn't make me insecure or make me high-maintenance. It's about being a GIRL. When I buy a lipstick, it's not about impressing a boy and most certainly, not impressing anyone. It's about ME wanting to wear a freakin' lipstick whenever I want to because I JUST WANT TO. It's not about wanting to be pretty and look good for people but it's about ME just liking a FREAKING LIPSTICK. I do makeup for no one else but for ME. Why would I impress a boy that I bought a 2000 peso bronzer to contour my cheekbones? Does he care? HELL NOOOOO!!! I bought it because I FREAKIN LOVE MY CHEEKBONES.

Of course, you don't wear a purple lipstick if you don't look good in it.  Yes, beauty and looking pretty still plays a huge factor to it but it does not revolve around BEAUTY alone. It's about celebration of femininity and feeling good for yourself. Buying a lipstick doesn't guarantee you  200-likes on Facebook but it makes you feel like an improved version of yourself. Not to hide your face but to enhance what you already have. 

Oftentimes, people are bashed for always wearing full-on makeup or people tell them to put on make-up because their skin is hideous. NO, you don't get to dictate someone on what she wants to do the same thing as you can't dictate a coin collector to stop collecting coins.

Back then, I hate makeup because it makes me look old but when I discovered about makeup tools, techniques, methods,  products and so on. This has changed my perception on makeup and it made me appreciate myself even more. It is like unlocking a hidden skill of mine  that I ever knew existed. I already loved how my eyes look but it looked even better when I have mascara on. I feel good at my uneven brows but I feel much better when I knew how to fill them in. This is what changed my opinion on make-up because as long as you know the right way to apply it, it just works wonders(I blame it on Youtube).

Even with makeup, I still have a round face, my nose is still flat as a plateau, my brows are still uneven and my laughlines are still obvious. Cosmetics don't have magic potions and they don't make you look like Kylie Jenner in an instant. It's just an improved and better YOU.

WITH FULL FACE OF MAKE-UP

Foundation: Make Up For Ever Ultra HD Foundation & Maybelline Matte & Poreless Foundation
Concealer: Tarte Shape Tape Concealer
Brows: Anastasia DipBrow Pomade
Bronzer: Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc Free Powder
Blush/Highlight: MAC Stay Pretty & Australis AC On Tour Highlight & Essence Pure Nude Highlighter
Mascara: Maybelline The Falsies Mascara
Lipstick: Nars Audacious Lipstick Anita & Audrey mixed together

I have seen how makeup transforms women from gender to race to ages to skin types. It just works wonders on them and how they want to feel good even once in awhile. Most importantly, MAKEUP doesn't make you who you are. Don't allow cosmetic items to define who you are but you use it as a weapon to celebrate life and the beauty that you already have in you. At the end of the day, makeup wears off and you take it off. What matters is the inside and the people that loves you, knows that YOU ARE EQUALLY BEAUTIFUL with or without makeup on.

XOXO,
Angeli G.





No comments :